I’m deep into the mixing of my band’s EP right now. I’m learning lots of new things, and putting lots of theories into practice. This is the biggest project I’ve ever mixed, in terms of both complexity and importance. Here are a few things I’ve learned:
- VC64 Vintage Channel sounds really good, and works magic on vocals.
- Boost11 is a must have. Classic Master Limiter doesn’t cut it.
- Console view for recording automation. Track view for cleaning it up.
- Mixing is more about subtraction than addition.
- You can compress acoustic guitars and have it sound good.. but it’s hard.